Amnesty International Malaysia is currently seeking to hire a researcher on human rights in Malaysia. We are looking for someone with significant in-country work experience, a broad network of local contacts, good knowledge of human rights issues, advanced analytic skills, and strong writing abilities. The incumbent will be responsible for producing research pieces to help deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities including contributing to campaigning strategies. Experience with public speaking and a visible presence on social media are also plus points. Fluency in written and spoken English is essential, proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia is required.
The role will begin with an initial 6-month contract, with a possibility of extension subject to funding availability. The position will be based at Amnesty International Malaysia and reports to the Executive Director. The position works closely with the Southeast Asia and Pacific Regional Office based in Bangkok.
• To develop and implement overarching research and campaigning strategies to deliver impact in relation to agreed priorities on Malaysia, including developing strategies with key stakeholders to identify the most effective ways to address human rights concerns; and to design specific projects and producing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating plans for these initiatives.
• To monitor, research, investigate and analyse human rights-related developments in order to provide timely, accurate, independent and impartial assessments and expert advice on the human rights situation in Malaysia.
• To organize and take part in, where agreed, field research and other missions, specifically on information-gathering, fact-finding, analysis and assessment of human rights concerns, including in response to crisis situations; prepare, where necessary, security assessments, political and other briefings in relation to the mission for Amnesty International Malaysia and relevant departments, mission participants and internal or external stakeholders; and represent Amnesty International in the field;
• To represent Amnesty International Malaysia to external stakeholders, including in governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums, as well as to all forms of news media, civil society organizations and political, economic and other actors; and to communicate Amnesty International’s concerns, positions and, where relevant, campaign strategies to external and internal stakeholders;
• To develop and maintain effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners in and outside the organization – such as human rights activists, members of legal and other professions, UN agencies and governmental representatives – to optimize information gathering and verification and the development and implementation of effective strategies and plans;
• To write reports and other materials for publication and internal use and contribute to and provide advice in relation to written and other materials produced by other programmes;
• To contribute to the development and maintenance of an effective information management reporting system;
• To contribute to the development of programme-wide strategies and plans for research and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on the Amnesty International mission, policy, organizational and other issues in order to increase the effectiveness of Amnesty International’s work;
• In consultation with management, to participate in the coordination of the work including preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and contributing to maintaining basic budgets.ResearcherResearcher