We’re hiring for a Human Rights Campaigner. Please find attached job description and instructions below
JOB TITLE: HUMAN RIGHTS CAMPAIGNER
REPORTS TO: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
DIRECT REPORTS: INTERNS/VOLUNTEERS (as needed)
STATUS: FULL TIME
LOCATION: PETALING JAYA, SELANGOR
APPLICATION PERIOD: 1 JUNE 2022 – 19 JUNE 2022 (Applications will be considered on a rolling basis)
POSITION START DATE: IMMEDIATELY
About the organisation
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million supporters, members and activists in over 150 countries and territories who campaign to end grave abuses of human rights.
Amnesty International Malaysia (AI Malaysia)’s vision is for a world in which every person’s fundamental human rights is protected as enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. AI Malaysia’s mission is to undertake study and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression, and freedom from discrimination, within the context of its work to promote human rights. Our current areas of campaigning include protection and promotion of freedom of expression, addressing police violence, abolishing the death penalty and promoting migrant and refugee rights.
AI Malaysia is independent of any government, political ideology or religious creed. It does not support or oppose any government or political system, nor does it support or oppose the views of the victims whose rights it seeks to protect. It is concerned solely with the impartial protection of human rights.
The Campaigner will play a lead role in developing, implementing and monitoring campaign strategies at the national level according to AI Malaysia’s operational plan and identified areas of work. The Campaigner will also manage and coordinate actions on specific human rights concerns as part of Malaysia’s response to the global Amnesty movement, and will work in sync with Amnesty International’s International Secretariat and other relevant campaign teams at the global and regional levels.
This role involves close working relationships with Malaysian civil society and various stakeholders, and engagement with Malaysian and global Amnesty supporters to mobilise meaningful action to ensure AI Malaysia is achieving impact in its human rights goals.
The role provides issue expertise on Amnesty campaigns to fellow team members, supporters and other stakeholders. The Campaigner will be required to lead campaigns on a range of human rights issues and make use of a variety of campaigning strategies and tactics.
The campaigner reports to the Executive Director of AI Malaysia, working in close collaboration with the researcher, the activism coordinator and the communications officer, and the regional campaign and research coordinators.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. To develop and implement campaign strategies as directed by the Executive Director with advice, guidance and support from the International Secretariat in a changing and fluid environment.
a) Manage and coordinate actions on human rights concerns primarily in Malaysia while extending support to other AI offices internationally to execute coordinated campaigns.
b) Develop a network of national and international NGOs/ INGOs and other external partners in the development and implementation of campaigning strategies and plans.
c) To write or devise campaigning and other materials for external and internal use, such as reports, annual report entries, government correspondence.
d) To represent AI Malaysia at governmental, inter-governmental and various public forums.
e) To research the most effective ways to campaign on human rights concerns, and to implement a diversity of campaigning tools for maximum meaningful human rights impact.
f) To ensure campaigns are promoted regularly and appropriately across both online platforms [including AI Malaysia’s website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram], and offline spaces.
2. Monitor human rights issues in-country
a) Monitor the development of human rights issues in Malaysia, in particular, within thematic areas AI Malaysia has committed to work in.
b) Monitor and analyse political and human rights developments and conduct research as appropriate into human rights contexts and individual cases, including by participating in field research and through contact with partners on the ground
3. Monitor and conduct evaluations of campaigning strategies and plans
a) Assess, monitor and evaluate the impact of campaigning strategies and interventions, and to produce reports to measure campaign effectiveness
b) To coordinate and ensure documentation of AI Malaysia’s campaign activities through reports, videos, photography and other means.
4. Other duties:
a) To contribute to the development of programme-wide strategies and plans for research, activism and campaigning and provide input into internal discussions on AI Malaysia’s policy, organisational and other issues in order to increase the effectiveness of the organisation’s work;
b) To participate in the coordination of the work both at national and international levels, including through setting priorities, preparing work plans, monitoring their progress and maintaining basic budgets;
c) To perform all necessary administrative tasks and liaise with the office manager to ensure effective implementation of programmes
WHAT DOES SUCCESS IN THIS JOB LOOK LIKE?
- A successful campaigner will have developed and implemented effective and deliverable campaigning strategies within the overall strategy on Malaysia; communicated clear and effective messages to Amnesty supporters, media, government, NGOs and broader civil society;
- They will have produced, implemented, monitored and evaluated related campaign plans, and set deadlines in coordination with the Activism Coordinator, Researcher and Communications officer;
- They will have generated external awareness and activities on AI Malaysia’s work including expanding networks of influence in relation to key concerns and priority areas in the organisation’s strategy and plans; and produced (individually or in coordination with others) a diversity of high quality outputs to communicate campaign messages;
- They will have demonstrated a willingness for continued learning, knowledge development and sharing, and an ongoing focus on making meaningful human rights impact;
- They will have contributed to the spirit of creativity, kindness, thoughtfulness, teamwork and collaboration among the team, and will have contributed to the effective implementation of AI’s mission, while uploading our values at all times.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of strategic campaigning, including knowledge of the steps required to devise a campaigning strategy and a spirit of flexibility, adaptiveness and responding to changes in the external environment
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to understand and express ideas in English as well as in BM in a fluent, clear and concise way, both orally and in writing, and to communicate complex information and institutional positions
- Ability to motivate and inspire others towards activism for change, including through creative and dynamic approaches to encourage campaigning in the face of obstacles and including an understanding of digital campaigning tools and their appropriate use for target audiences to ensure both online and offline activism and mobilisation
- Fluency in social media, especially Twitter, Instagram and Facebook
- Familiarity with using Canva required; basic knowledge other designing tools and simple video production preferred
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of efficient communication for the coordination and effective functioning of teams
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization, involvement in advocacy of human rights, et
- Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities
- Ability and willingness to undertake personal administrative tasks in accordance with AI’s guidelines on self-servicing
- Understanding of equal opportunities, cultural diversity and gender issues as well as a commitment to apply relevant policies
- A willingness to work beyond office hours and on public holidays and weekends, when necessary (with replacement leave for work done outside working hours)
SALARY: RM4,800 – RM6, 000 (depending on experience)
Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
CONFLICT OF INTEREST
Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with
AI’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and three references to [email protected] with the subject: ‘APPLICATION – CAMPAIGNER’.
The application period is from 1st to 19th June 2022; applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified, thank you.