AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL MALAYSIA
2ND BOARD OF GOVERNANCE MEETING
Date : 23rd September 2018
Time : 12-3pm
Venue : Amnesty International Malaysia,
D-2-33A, 8 Avenue Section 8, Jalan Sungai Jernih 8/1,
Seksyen 8 Petaling Jaya, 46050 Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Mission– to undertake study and action focused on preventing and ending grave abuses of the rights to physical and mental integrity, freedom of conscience and expression and freedom from discrimination within the context of its work promote all human rights.
- Use Google to do a basic background check for dubious applications.
- New applicants to receive Code of Conduct upon sending in applications, and membership approval to be subject to agreement to be bound by the Code.
- Starting a Local Group
- Add a discretion clause for the Secretariat to decide if the applicant is fit or if location is appropriate to start a Local Group (eg: starting another Penang LG when there is an existing student-group LG in existence).
- Monetary & Evaluation
- Obtain IS & Regional support & material for impact assessment internally.
- Creative Strategy presentation by N & C
–powerpoint presentation- they will send it to the board and S after tweaking it. They discussed merchandise, social influencer partnerships and aspirations and incentivising.
- The Secretariat
- Job Description of the Secretariat personnel to be better streamlined and aligned to the organisation’s goals.
- Secretariat to implement strategies curated by the Board and the Board to provide deliverables and act as a support system to the Secretariat.
- DECISIONS MADE (unanimously)
- Allow new members to join AIM on face value; If there are any issues, only then will their membership be reviewed.
- Membership forms to include a declaration stating that all particulars provided are true.
- Secretariat’s salary
The Board will provide a letter of support for a proposal by the Secretariat to the IS for an increase in budget for the Malaysian Section so that the Executive Director and the staff at the Secretariat are salaried in par with market rate.
- ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN
|1. Unanimously agreed to read PDF on Global Governance in lieu of a presentation at the meeting||All Board Members|
|2. Code of Conduct for members to be drawn up||Secretariat|
|3. Phillipines AGM Oct 19th-21st 2018||A|
|4. M&A to be reviewed||D, C, R|
|5. Speak with Secretariat about Creative Strategy & pay review once Shamini returns||As|
|6. Report on skill sets that can be built among members of the Ipoh Local Group||K|
- POSTPONED / WORK-IN-PROGRESS
- Email addresses – D
- MoU – All
- Youth Strategy – As
- Whatsapp v Slack use – A
- EXPECTATIONS OF THE SECRETARIAT
- N : i) Progress in social media
- ii) Increase in membership
- C : i) Define & design a detailed programme with impact measured
- ii) Collect meaningful data and identify benchmarks for impact
- As : Follow-up on events and create a sense of continuity
- K : Equip members with skill sets necessary for facilitation of discourse
Date : 23rd September 2018
Time : 3-6pm
We had 3 speakers graciously share their experience with us via tele-conference:
- R from the Phillipines
- Sh from Taipei and
- Sa from Brussels
Dated this 24.09.2018.
Amnesty International Board of Governance
Dr. Anjhula Mya Singh Bais
Chair, Board of Governance